Задание 1. Выберите правильный вариант из слов, приведенных выше, и закончите предложения.
1. Home ... is a subject studied at school and college in which students are taught how to run a house well and efficiently.
2. New England’s ... is still largely based on manufacturing.
3. These businesses contribute hundreds of millions of pounds to the ... of the country.
4. I switched off the lights as an ... measure.
5. If you make ..., you take action in order to save money, by not spending it on unnecessary things.
6. You’ll have to travel ... class.
7. Buy our new ... packs of 100.
8. If you are really going to buy a car, we’ll have to ... on other things.
9. In his works he explains the ideas of the great English ... J.M. Keynes.
10. She thought of herself as an ... wife.
11. What has gone wrong with the ... system during the last ten years?
12. ... is the oldest of social sciences.
Задание 2. Переведите следующие слова и укажите, к какой части речи они относятся – существительное, прилагательное, глагол, наречие.
system, systematic, systematically, to systematize, systemic
Употребите эти слова в предложениях, данных ниже.
1. The police made a .... search of the building.
2. You need some ... in your work if you want to succeed.
3. I wish they’d organize themselves more ... .
4. ... insecticides spread all through a plant and kill any insects that feed on it.
5. This method helps ... the information received.
Задание 3. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в нужную форму – инфинитив с частицей to, инфинитив без частицы to или герундий.
1) When I’m tired, I enjoy watching television. It´s relaxing. (watch)
2) It was a nice day, so we decided … for a walk. (go)
3) It´s a nice day. Does anyone fancy … for a walk? (go)
4) Our neighbour threatened … the police if we didn´t stop the noise. (call)
5) We were hungry, so I suggested … dinner early. (have)
6) Why do you keep … me questions? Can´t you leave me alone? (ask)
7) They denied … the money. (steal)
8) Hurry up! I don´t want to risk … the train. (miss)
9) He had made his decision and refused … his mind. (change)
10) I have a friend who claims … able to speak five languages. (be)
11) I got up and looked out of the window … what the weather was like. (see)
12) The water here is not very good. I´d avoid … it if I were you. (drink)
13) Why did you change your decision? What made you … your mind? (change)
14) Dan prefers … at home to eating out. (cook)
15) They have decided … the living room. (decorate)
Задание 4. Употребите правильный вариант much или many.
1) Did you buy … food?
2) There aren´t … hotels in this town.
3) We haven´t got … petrol.
4) Were there … people on the train?
5) Did … students fail the examination?
6) Paula hasn’t got … money.
7) I wasn’t very hungry. I didn’t eat …
8) I haven’t seen George for … years.
Начните вопросы с How much или How many.
9) … people are coming to the party?
10) … milk do you want in your coffee?
11) … bread did you buy?
12) … players are there in a football team?
Задание 5. Заполните пропуски количественными местоимениями
little / a little / few / a few.
1) There was … food in the fridge. It was nearly empty.
2) When did Sarah go out? – … minutes ago.
3) I can’t talk to you now – I’ve got … things to do.
4) I can’t decide now. I need … time to think about it.
5) There was … traffic, so we arrived earlier than we expected.
6) The bus service is not very good at night – there are … buses after 9 o’clock.
7) I’d like to practice my English more but I have … opportunity.
8) We’re going away for … days next week.
9) Everybody needs … luck.
10) I eat very … meat – I don’t like it very much.
11) Excise me, can I ask you … questions?
12) Let´s stay here ... longer: it is such a nice place.