Verification work number 3
1. Correlate the meanings of words and phrases in the right column of data, with their English equivalents given in the left column.
1 implementation of law a) officials
2 recruitment b) civil service
3 to apply for a transfer c) decide (to consider) complaints
4 officials d) carried out
5 civil service e) application of the law
6 to be undertaken f) partisan activity
7 partisan activity g) Employee
8 appointment h) recruitment
9 to determine complaints i) appointment
10 employee j) to request the transfer of
2. Read and choose the correct translation of participles, bold shriftom.chastey in bold.
1. The commission draws up the rules governing examinations for those positions that Congress places in the classified civil service.
a) regulations b) settling c) adjusting
2. In 1939 the merit system was extended to sections of state administration receiving federal grants.
a) receiving b) receive c) to give
3. One of the oldest examples of a civil service based on meritocracy is the Imperial bureaucracy of China.
4. Having been authorized by Congress the President prescribed regulations for admission to public service.
5. British civil servants are strictly excluded from politics.
6. Having come to office in 1979 Margaret Thatcher reduced the size of the civil service.
7. A new civil service code was launched on 6 June 2006 to outline the core values \u200b\u200band standards expected of civil servants.
a) releasing b) releasing c) released
8. In late 1981 the Prime Minister announced the abolition of the Civil Service Department, transferring power over the Civil Service to the Prime Minister´s Office and Cabinet Office.
9. By 1998, 42 Charters had been published, and they included services provided by public service industries such as the health service and the railways, as well as by the civil service.
10. Under the administration of Tony Blair, the influence of two Downing Street special advisers, Jonathan Powell and Alastair Campbell, both of whom were given formal power over Downing Street civil servants.
3. Read and choose the correct translations of forms of participles, which correspond to the words given in parentheses. participle, which correspond to words given in parentheses.
1. In 1806, the British East India Company established a college near London for training administrators (based) on the recommendation of officials in China.
a) having been based b) basing c) based
2. (Appointed) as an efficiency expert with the Prime Minister´s personal backing, Marks and Spencer identified numerous problems with the Civil Service.
a) having appointed b) having been appointed c) appointed
3. Margaret Thatcher immediately set about reducing the size of the civil service, (reducing) numbers from 732,000 to 594,000 over her first seven years in office.
a) cutting b) cut c) having been cut
4. The Civil Rights Act of 1965 (introduced) by Lyndon Johnson, made companies hire and promote minorities.
a) enacting b) enacted c) having enacted
5. At the height of patronage every administration was marked by massive removals of officials (employees) for the departing administration.
a) worked b) having been worked c) working
6. The establishment of the modern civil service is closely (associated) with the decline of feudalism and the growth of national autocratic states.
a) associating b) associated c) being associated
7. The organization of the government bureaucracy was streamlined by the creation of the General Services Administration, (combining) the operations and activities of some 60 government agencies.
8. A Civil Servi