4.2. Control tasks to control the number 2
Option number 1
I. Give definitions and Russian equivalents to key words and word combinations.
Definition Russian equivalent
II. A. Read the text, translate into English.
Logistics is not contained within an organisation, but has a unique position in linking external suppliers and customers. This is a particularly fast-moving field. Developments in operations - such as just-in-time, lean operations, efficient customer response, enterprise resource planning, e-commerce, globalisation, and increasing customer service - are rapidly changing the demands on logistics. The most important issues are: increasing strategic importance of logistics; global operations and increasing international competition; integration of organisations and activities in the supply chain; changing requirements from logistics to deal with new types of operations; better communications allowing closer co-ordination of movements; new requirements from aspects of e-commerce; increasing emphasis on quality and customer-based service; environmental concerns.
B. Make up five questions of different type to the text above.
III. Translate the sentences into English.
1. Experts Headhunting often find the right people for employers through senior managers that offer them the right people.
2. France now has the lowest number of workers in unions in the industry: trade unions represent only 10% of all workers.
3. It is important to remember that the labor market to a greater or lesser extent influenced by the law of supply and demand.
4. At some point in your life you may encounter with the supervisor, who will feel that you are not working well and that will seldom praise you often credit for your achievements. In this case you will have to find another company to move up the career ladder.
5. In contrast to the accounting management of people is an art rather than a science, but the majority of senior managers said they fully do their job and never make decisions in haste.
IV. Read this part of the letter.
Thank you for your enquiry about conference facilities at Greenwood. I enclose a brochure containing further details of the accommodation and conference facilities which I mentioned on the phone.
I am now able to confirm that Greenwood is available for up to 40 participants on the weekends of 20-22 April and 5-7 May 2009.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.
Write a letter to Mr. Stanton, the conference organizer:
• informing him which dates you would like to book
• telling him how many participants there will be
• giving details of the type of accommodation required
• asking him to confirm the cost of the weekend
• do not include postal addresses.