I. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глагол в Present Perfect или Past Simple, переведите (письменно):
1. William Colgate (found) the Colgate Company in 1806 as a starch, soap and candle business in New York City.
2. For the first one hundred years, the company (do) all its business in the United States.
3. However, in the early 1900s, the company (begin) an aggressive expansion program that (lead) to the establishment of Colgate operations in countries throughout Europe. Latin America and the Far East.
4. Recently it (set up) operations in Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Eastern Europe and China.
5. Colgate-Palmolive (become) a truly global consumer product company, worth 6,6$ billion and selling in more than 160 countries.
6. Colgate-Palmolive’s five main sectors of business are: Oral Care, Body Care, Houshold Surface Care, Fabric Care and Pet Nutrition and Health Care.
7. In the area or Oral Care, Colgate-Palmolive is the world leader in toothpaste.
8. Since 1980, the company (increase) its share of this market by more than 12% to over 40% today
9. Oral care revenues (grow) significantly in recent years and in 1991, they (exceed) $1.3 billion.
10. As a result of the company’s heavy investment in research and technology, it (develop) many successful toothpastes, rinses and toothbrushes.
11. To strengthen its presence in professional products, Colgate-Palmolive (buy) the Ora Pharm Company of Australia and the dental therapeutic business of Schever Laboratories USA in 1990.
12. For many years, the company (have) a strong dental education programme in schools throughout the world and (maintain) a close partnership with the intenational dental community.
13. Recently Colgate-Palmolive (enlarge) its school education programs to cover rural areаs as well as townships in developing countries.
14. For the last three years, the company (be) a major sponsor of the International Dental Congress, the world’s largest and most prestigious dental meeting.
15. The company (always pay) close attention to the environment.
16. It (already make) great progress in the use of recyclable bottles and packaging materials.
17. In the 1990 the American Council on Economic Priorities (choose) Colgate-Palmolive as one of the four most socially responsible companies in the United States.
II. Заполните пропуски формой used to.
1. The baby doesn’t cry so much now, but she … every night.
2. Dennis doesn’t smoke any more, but he … 40 cigarettes a day.
3. She … my best friend but we are not friends any longer.
4. She … the best friend but we … in Leeds.
5. When I was a child I … Ice-cream, but I don’t like it now.
III. Напишите вторую часть предложения в настоящем времени (форма used to не имеет формы настоящего времени).
Образец: Ron used to study hard but now he doesn’t study very hard. Ron didn’t used to smoke, but now he smokes.
1. Tom used to play tennis a lot but now…
2. Ann never used to drink coffee bur now…
3. Jill didn’t use to be fat, but now…
4. Jack didn’t use to go out much but now…
IV. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Whenever he was angry, he would walk out of the room.
2. We used to live next to a railway line. Every time a train went past, the whole house would watch it.
3. That cinema is nearly always empty now. I remember a few years ago it would be crowded every night.
4. When Jane came to their place, Jack would always take an umbrella with him whether it was raining or hot and would leave the house.