Английский (контрольная №2, МГУП)
Содержимое: 40204200142217.rar (20,69 Кбайт)
Контрольное задание 2
Текст: Литературный агент
Устная тема: Почему мы читаем газеты
2. Запомните, как переводятся следующие предложения.
1. … (as they themselves would put it) their name is legion.
… (как они сами сказали бы) имя им - легион.
2. … it had better be an agent the publisher likes doing business with.
… пусть лучше это будет литературный агент, с которым издателю приятно будет иметь дело.
3. Shall I give up my job and take entirely to my pen?
Стоит ли мне бросить работу и полностью посвятить себя писательской деятельности?
4. No agent reads every book that comes his way.
Ни один литературный агент не читает все книги, которые попадают к нему.
3. Найдите и подчеркните подлежащее и сказуемое в следующих предложениях.
1. Good authors are scarce, promising ones less so.
2. «Why by publishers?» one might ask.
3. A professional author needs an agent and will get himself one.
4. It is one of the most difficult questions.
5. Nowadays one can no longer read actual manuscript.
6. No agent reads every book that comes his way. The wise one uses a number of readers.
7. He will have more than one report on a new author´s work.
8. One would expect authors to give up their agents when they are successful.
9. I don´t want this magazine, give me that one.
4. Сделайте письменный перевод текста. Сделайте машинный перевод текста. Сравните ваш вариант с полученным машинным переводом.
1. The literary agent must clearly begin by finding authors. Good authors are scarce indeed; promising ones less so; bad ones (as they themselves would put it) their name is legion.
2. Authors come introduced by mutual friends and often by publishers. «Why by publishers» one might ask. Because a good publisher knows that sooner on later a professional author needs an agent and will get himself one, and from the publisher´s point of view it had better be an agent the publisher likes doing business with.
3. What an agent wants is the professional author - the man or woman who is, or means seriously to become, a writer. That does not imply that he or she is to do nothing but write, for no author can expect to support himself in the first stages and occupations. One of the most difficult questions an agent has to answer is «Shall I give up my job and take entirely to my pen?»
4. Before asking for an interview, the agent will first want a report on a manuscript. Reading typescripts - nowadays one can no longer read actual manuscript - is a highly professional job. No agent reads every book that comes his way. The wise one uses a number of readers and may well have more than one report on a new author´s work. His readers have to tell him not only about the work itself, but all that the work indicates about the author - age, experience, promise.
5. When the agent has reports from his readers, and if possible has talked to the author, he will be ready to find him a publisher. There are many good publishers, but none who is good for every book he has to offer. That is because publishing is also a personal business - perhaps the most personal business left. A publisher´s own enthusiasm for an author´s work is his most valuable contribution to its success. That is why the best publishing houses are almost always directed by those who own them.
5. Перепишите предложения и заполните пропуски следующими словами и словосочетаниями.
save the commission, to accept, own, comes his way, support, typescripts, valuable contribution, dispute, directed, imply, terms and conditions, bound, inevitably, enthusiasm
1. That does not … that he or she is to do nothing but write.
2. No author can expect to … himself in the first stages.
3. Reading … is a highly professional job.
4. No agent reads every book that … …
5. A publisher´s own … is his most … …
6. They can now … … since everyone wants their work.
7. The agent knows what … … he may be asked …
8. In any … the agent is … to get the author what he wants.
9. The best publishing houses are almost always … by those who … them.
10. At this stage the author - agent relationship … becomes more actual.
6. Поставьте вопросы к выделенным словам (письменно).
1. The literary agent must begin by finding authors.
2. Reading typescripts is a highly professional job.
3. Some authors will never wish to abandon their other professions.
4. One would expect authors to give up their agents when they are successful.
5. That does not imply that he or she is to do nothing but write, for no author can expect to support himself in the first stages.
6. The wise agent uses a number of readers.
7. An author´s time is by now money.
8. The best publishing houses are almost always directed by those who own them.
7. Найдите в тексте ответы на следующие вопросы.
1. Why are authors often introduced to literary agents by publishers?
2. What does an agent want?
3. What is the most difficult question an agent has to answer?
4. When is the agent ready to find a publisher for his author?
5. What is the publisher´s most valuable contribution to an author´s work?
6. Why don´t authors abandon their agents when they are successful?
8. Сделайте машинный перевод текста. Выполните редакторскую правку машинного перевода.
WHY READ NEWSPAPERS
The English newspapers magnate, Lord Northcliffe, observed once that there are only two reasons for buying newspapers - curiosity and habit. Some readers gratify their news curiosity in five minutes. Others take much longer to pore over their newspaper.
Most readers can absorb a lot of information from a newspaper in 18 minutes - the average time for newspaper reading in the United States - because, from habit, they know where to find what they want to read. Nothing irritates a reader more than to miss an item from the place he is accustomed to reading it. That explains why an editor keeps the weather report in the same position in the newspaper every day.
The reader usually reads at the same time and in the same place every day. If he prefers not to read his paper, that is his prerogative. But if the paper is not available at the time he usually reads it, his routine is broken and he often becomes irritated enough to call the paper or the carrier.
That helps explain why a deadline is the most sacred rule in a newspaper office. An act of God (such as a blizzard) or a mechanical breakdown are justifiable excuses for a newspaper´s delay. But no editor will tolerate a stuff that can´t meet the paper´s deadline.
9. Ответьте письменно на следующие вопросы.
1. What are the two reasons for buying newspaper?
2. What is the average newspaper reading time?
3. Why does an editor keep the weather report in the same position in the newspaper every day?
4. Why is a deadline the most sacred rule in a newspaper´s office?
5. Are there any justifiable excuses for a newspaper´s delay? What are they?
|1 мес||3 мес||12 мес|
В целях исключения необоснованных и заведомо ложных сообщений о фактах нарушения указанных прав, администрация будет отказывать в предоставлении услуг на торговой площадке Plati, только после получения от Вас письменных заявлений о нарушении с приложением копий документов, подтверждающих ваши авторские права или права собственности, по адресу: 123007, г. Москва, Малый Калужский пер. д.4, стр.3, Адвокатский кабинет «АКАР №380».
В целях оперативного реагирования на нарушения Ваших прав и необходимости блокировки действий недобросовестных продавцов, Plati просит Вас направить заверенную телеграмму, которая будет являться основанием для блокировки действий продавца, указанная телеграмма должна содержать указание: вида нарушенных прав, подтверждения ваших прав и ваши контактные данные (организиционно-правовую форму лица, Ф.И.О.). Блокировка будет снята по истечение 15 дней, в случае непредставления Вами в Адвокатский кабинет письменных документов подтверждающих ваши авторские права или права собственности.