I. Спишите предложения, подчеркните сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) Many young people from other towns have entered our Academy.
2) He has been studying English for several years.
3) They will have carried out a series of experiments by the end of this month.
4) When I entered the hall, the professor had already been speaking for ten minutes.
5) They had completed the experiment by the end of last week.
II. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Поставьте предложения в прошедшее и будущее время, используя соответствующую форму модального глагола или его эквивалент.
1) Every engineer must know at least one foreign language.
2) He may continue his research.
3) The new educational system can give impressive results.
III. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Подчеркните модальный глагол или его эквивалент.
1) We are to master English.
2) He had to take a taxi to get there in time.
3) Two students were not allowed to enter the classroom after the bell.
4) The new words should be repeated as often as possible.
5) The students ought to know the history of their institute.
IV. Спишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на независимый причастный оборот. Подчеркните причастие.
1) The rule being explained again, it became quite clear to everybody.
2) The experiment having been finished, the professor left the laboratory.
3) The conference being over, the delegates made a tour of the city.
4) It being late, we decided to stop working.
5) All the students answered well, Smirnov showing the best knowledge.
V. Перепишите текст и переведите его на русский язык.
1) The Open University was established in 1969 to enable people to study for a best degree at home. 2) It started its first course in 1971. 3) Now it’s Britain’s largest teaching institution with more than 100,000 men and women taking its various courses at any given time. 4) Its degrees, diplomas and other qualifications are equal to those of any other universities.
5) Apart from the well-known degree courses – from which more than 80,000 people have already graduated – there are a lot of other courses, some lasting only a few weeks, others ten or twelve months. 6) Courses cover a wide range of subjects – from everyday topics through traditional university disciplines to the latest manufacturing techniques.
7) There are nearly 200 courses and in all of them (except for higher degrees) there is one principle: they are open to everybody. 8) You need no formal academic qualifications. 9) You must be 18 or over, and resident of the United Kingdom. 10) And of course, you must have the desire to learn.
11) The OU operates sending its educational materials to students in their homes or places of work. 12) It uses not only textbooks which can be bought at bookshops, but also video and audio cassettes and a variety of other equipment. 13) Students of the OU receive their lessons and lectures watching and listening to special TV and radio programmes. 14) They also work with their tutors all over the country writing papers on the courses and discussing them with their tutors at meetings or by correspondence.
15) The OU’s success is of great interest abroad and a number of countries have bought teaching materials produced at the Open University.
VI. Расположите предложения по порядку согласно содержанию текста.
1) The Open University offers a wide range of courses at many different levels.
2) The OU was established to give educational opportunities to those people who want to continue their education at home.
3) In its teaching the OU employs a combination of television, radio, correspondence tests, broadcasts and personal tuition.
4) The University is open to everybody.
VII. Найдите в тексте следующие слова и словосочетания, выпишите их и выучите.