I. Прочитайте тексты 1-3 и выберите из списка А-D подходящий заголовок для каждого текста. Используйте каждую букву только один раз. В задании один заголовок лишний.
A – How old is concrete? C – New European technologies
B – A vertical city D – New materials help to preserve old looks
1 The design of the National Theatre of Japan resembles the VIII century Treasure Hall in Nara. However, instead of wooden logs, the building has precast concrete beams. The concrete surface was coated with special chemicals which produce the stable colour of old timber.
The theatre is equipped with all the facilities necessary to stage traditional classic Japanese theatrical plays, to train performers and to collect, preserve and display research material on the traditional theatrical arts of Japan. Other facilities include a library, recording, filming and rehearsal rooms.
2 Scientists have always believed that the Egyptian pyramids were built of natural stone blocks. But Professor Joseph Davidovits (France) thinks they are wrong. According to him, the pyramids were built with man-made mixture of cement and aggregate – in other words, concrete. The components of synthetic cement are listed by the hieroglyph which was recently decoded. There is little doubt about the durability of ancient concrete mixtures.
3 China’s 3,700ft Bionic Tower of concrete, metal and glass is supposed to give home for 100,000 people. It is set in a gigantic, wheel-shaped base incorporating shopping malls, car parks and includes hotels, offices, cinemas and hospitals. About 368 lifts take less than two minutes to travel from bottom to top. Water and energy are transported along 92 vertical columns. The tower has a system of foundations that descend 656 ft and are surrounded by an artificial lake to absorb earth vibrations.
II. Используя информацию из текстов, закончите следующие предложения
4. The National Theatre of Japan was built of …
a) wooden logs
b) concrete beams
c) old timber
5. The National Theatre of Japan …
a) stages world’s classic plays
b) is not only a theatre but also a museum
c) holds festivals of theatrical performers
6. Professor Davidovits believes that …
a) the Egyptian pyramids were built using a certain kind of concrete
b) the Egyptian pyramids were built of natural stone
c) the secret of the ancient cement will soon be decoded
7. The Bionic Tower has been designed as…
a) an entertainment centre
b) an office centre
c) a huge block of flats
8. The Bionic Tower offers its residents facilities for…
a) health care
b) sport activities
c) getting education
III. Выберите соответствующий перевод подчеркнутых слов
9. The National Theatre of Japan is not just a theatre. It includes a library and facilities for displaying traditional arts of Japan. a) один/ одна / одно
10. One of the theatre rooms is intended for recording and filming. b) он/ она / оно
11. In the theatre one can see research material on the traditional theatrical art of Japan. c) не переводится
12. It is easy to see that the National Theatre of Japan resembles one YIII century building.
IV. Выберите соответствующий перевод подчеркнутых слов
13. There are many kinds of wagons for transporting goods. a) перевозя
14. Transporting millions of passengers a year electric trains have become a leader in the transport sector. b) перевозка
15. New kinds of trains are being designed to transport passengers on high-speed lines. c) перевозить
16. To transport people to the airport will be the purpose of this transit line. d) для того, чтобы перевозить
17. Goods to be transported in these wagons include coal, sand and gravel. e) который должен перевозиться
18. Last year the new high-speed train transported about 5 million passengers. f) перевозимый
19. Trains transporting passengers over long distances consist of sleeping carriages. g) перевозящий
20. There are more goods transported by railways than by air. h) перевез