1.1. Read the text and translate it in the written form.
Прочитайте и сделайте письменный перевод текста.
Who’s who in hotel and catering
My name’s Milan Havel, and I’m an assistant manager at the Hotel Ambassador in London. There are two assistant managers, and one of us is always on duty at busy times. The general manager has overall responsibility, of course, and we report directly to her. We are responsible for day-to-day running of the hotel. We plan the work schedules, manage the accounts, and deal with any problems to do with staff or guests.
We have about 100 people of personnel. Basically there are four departments, each with its own manager:
Firstly, there’s front of the house – that’s receptionists, the employees who deal with our guests on daily basis. They check the guests in and out, take reservations, make sure that everyone is getting the service they need. The reception team usually consists of a supervisor and two or three receptionists, depending on the time of day. They report to the front of the house manager, who is also in charge of the porters and doormen.
Then there’s housekeeping – all the services to do with the rooms. The headв housekeeper is in charge of this. She has a team of maids who make up the rooms, provide towels and bed linen, and ensure that everything is ready for a new guest. She also looks after laundry and cleaning in other parts of the hotel.
The banqueting and conference manager organizes all the events that take place in the hotel. That could be a one-day conference for twenty people, or a big corporate function with hundreds of guests. He has a team of event organizers who look after groups and parties. For smaller functions we use our in-house catering staff, but for big occasions we employ agency staff by the hour.
And finally, there’s the food and beverage manager. The food and beverage manager is responsible for the restaurant and the kitchen. Three people report directly to him: the head waiter, the bar manager, and the head chef.
The head waiter manages the specialist wine waiters and other waiters and waitresses. The bar manager is responsible for bar staff. The head chef manages the kitchen and under him comes the assistant or sauce chef. Finally, the kitchen porters come at the bottom of that reporting line.
1.2. Answer the questions in the written form.
Письменно ответьте на вопросы.
1. How many assistant managers are there at the Hotel Ambassador?
2. Who do they report directly to?
3. What do hotel operations involve?
4. How many people of personnel do they have?
5. What are the four departments that basically the hotel has?
1.3. Are the following statements true (T) or false (F). Correct the false ones.
Определите, являются ли предложения истинными или ложными.
1. There are two assistant managers and we both are always on duty at busy times.
2. The house manager is also in charge of the porters and doormen.
3. Only one-day conferences can be organized in the hotel.
4. Seven people report directly to the food and beverage manager.
5. The bar manager is responsible for bar staff.
2.1. Open the brackets.
Раскройте скобки, употребив глагол в правильной форме (с частицей to или без нее).
1. Let me (guess) myself what those departments are.
2. Guests put the signs on their hotel doors when they are in and don’t want the maids (come) and (clean) their room.
3. I would like you (sign) your registration card.
4. The assistant manager heard the guest (complain).
5. The house keeper asks the maids (scrub) down the bathrooms and (change) the linen.